Great Service Princples are Great Life Principles

Callcenter
One of our group members received an e-mail the other day from a front-line CSR with whom we have worked for many years. We have provided Quality Assessment, customer service training and call coaching for this client for 17 years. "I have been thinking about the things I learned through [c wenger group]," she wrote. "I decided they are life skills. I use them every day. They do
work
!!"

I’ve received similar messages from people after a training or coaching session. After one session a woman said to me, "You gave me some great principles for serving customers on the phone, but I also realized that the same principles apply to how I should communicate with my spouse and my children. Thank you."

The principles of providing great customer service are life principles:

• "Treat others the way you wish others would treat you."
  • "Give and it will be given to you."
  • "If a person asks you to walk a mile with them – go ahead an walk two."
  • "Be faithful with a few things, and you’ll find yourself placed in charge of many things."
  • "Do the best you can with what you have."
  • "The greatest leader is the servant of all."
  • "You will be judged by the same measure with which you judge others."
  • "A good name is worth more than great riches."

When I’m old and gray (grayer than I am now), it really won’t matter much – in the grand scheme of things – if I helped a person raise their QA score from 83.8 to 95.9. What will matter is that someone picked up on a service principle, applied it, and it made a positive difference in their life and their relationships.

Creative Commons photo courtesy of Flickr and Joachim Guanzon

6 comments for “Great Service Princples are Great Life Principles

1. August 9, 2007 at 2:18 pm

I could not agree more that many of the principles of providing great customer service are life skills. When discussing this concept with reps I have found they are much more receptive to receiving feedback from evaluators. I have even had reps come to work and tell me how they used a particular skill at home such as “listening”. When working with QA analysts I tell them that we are personally responsible for a decline in divorce rates… Watch out Dr. Phil…Here come the QA analysts!

2. August 9, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Ha! That’s awesome, Connie. Maybe we’ll meet someday on Oprah 🙂

3. August 9, 2007 at 9:25 pm

So in a self-obsessed world of people trying to come to grips with the inherant specialness of who they are, with self esteem that is not based on quantifiable actions, and with a personally modifiable un-absolute truth about life, the universe, and everything, you choose to turn them away from the universe within and point them toward a truth and a life that puts others and a clearly defined code of ethics first?
    You rebel you…
    These are such new-fangled, narrow-minded truths they won’t last more than five or six millenia at most-tops.
    Like the man said, “There’s nothing new under the sun.”
    Good post Tom.

4. August 13, 2007 at 11:02 am

Tom-
    What do you think about a decision of Sprint dropping 1200 customers because they make too many calls into customer support? Is there a line between working on principles and continuously losing money on a client?
    Thank you.

5. August 13, 2007 at 11:36 am

Great question, Chris. I think that the answer is quite simple. You can’t stay in business unless your customer/client relationships are profitable for both parties.
    For example, I believe in giving my clients value for their money. Often, I give far more than they paid for believing that it is an investment towards a relationship which will yield a profitable return on my extra time and energy (profitable can mean far more than money, btw). When that relationship begins to cost far more than I will ultimately receive than I must choose an appropriate course. Ultimately, I believe that it becomes harmful for the client/customer to be give away your goods/services. It leads to false expectations and an attitude of entitlement. All of a sudden the win-win relationship becomes a lose-lose.
    One can argue with the method by which Sprint ended these unprofitable relationships, but the more you read about the situation you find that they made the correct decision for all concerned.

6. August 20, 2007 at 6:45 am

Getting caught in the middle in customer service

Its so easy for the customer to get caught in the middle. Thats handled by another department. But they told me to call you. Thats something that the other company needs to solve. Im getting…