Verizon’s Net-Promoter Bane

Meikah Delid has a great post about making your voice-mail customer friendly. Which got me thinking about Verizon. I have been a Verizon customer for years. Sometimes you don’t have any personal options when it comes to choosing your provider. I use my cell phone for 95 percent of my calls and there’s one little detail that Verizon refuses to fix. This one detail will keep me from being willing to recommend them and I’m sure it ultimately impacts their net-promoter score.

When you get my voice-mail there is no option to get right to the beep. Sprint lets you press one to go right to skip the message and start recording. Verizon makes you sit there an listen to the entire message and then sit there some more to listen to their robo-woman say "at the tone please record your message. After you’ve finished recording, press one for more options. To leave your call back number press 5". Verizon’s recorded message alone takes 10 seconds. I don’t know how much time I’ve wasted over the past ten years waiting for the "beep" on Verizon wireless calls.

Hey Verizon. Do you want very satisfied customers who are willing to recommend you to others? Then don’t make me listen to the same prerecorded message I’ve heard a million times before. It can’t be that hard. Fix it.

8 comments for “Verizon’s Net-Promoter Bane

1. Amy Madsen
    January 31, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Speaking of cell phone companies, I’m a Cingular customer and have been for many years. On the Net Promoter scale, I’d give them a 5, which means I’m a detractor.
    If I didn’t ever step foot in any of their stores, I’d probably be a passive – I’d give them a 7. The problem with the stores – at least the ones I frequent – is that you have to wait a long time before being able to speak to someone – like 15 mintues – even if there’s only one other customer ahead of you.
    Having just purchased a new phone, I wanted the accessories that go with it (I am dissapointed that Sony Ericsson can’t include a protective case for such a nice phone/camera/mp3 player, but that’s another bad profit story!). I was disgusted by the exhorbitant price of cheap phone cases. I left and went to Fry’s where I found alternatives for 1/3 of the price. I would think Cingular would want to make the shopping experience a little easier: buy the phone there and the accessories at a reasonable price. I guess they figure I’m trapped.
    I know Cingular is in the business of making a profit, but such exhorbitant pricing will keep me firmly entrenched in detractor land!

2. January 31, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Amy, I’m glad it’s not just me! Verizon has gone to having a person in their stores taking your name and putting you into a queue for assistance, which I find interesting – but at least you know you’re in line for personal assistance.
    Sounds like you’ve already voted with your feet when it came to the accessories. I sure hope Cingular is listening (to your footsteps!)

3. February 1, 2007 at 3:30 pm

I wonder: is anyone a promoter for any of the cellular company? I have yet to meet anyone who whole-heartedly recommended their cellular provider. Everyone seems to have a war-story about their wireless company. I do too: http://kermitfan.blogspot.com/2006/10/i-shake-my-fist-at-you-sprint.html
    Someday, I long to be a happy cellular customer…

4. February 1, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I think you may be right, KF. What an opportunity for a cell phone company to differentiate themselves. Instead of promoting the fewest dropped calls or best plan – what about promoting the best customer service?!

5. February 2, 2007 at 9:16 am

Tom – I have Verizon. Hitting the asterisk/star key skips my greeting. Does this work for you?

6. February 5, 2007 at 2:06 am

Hi, Tom! I think you’re not alone to feel that way. I also use a cellphone, but I don’t activate my voice mail simply because I for one don’t want to be directed to it when I want to talk to someone. 🙂 Whenever I call someone and I’d be directed to the voicemail, I’d drop the call and get back to that person some other time.

7. Jason
    January 11, 2008 at 9:08 am

Hey Tom,
    I am a consultant for Verizon Wireless. I am sorry that your experiences with Verizon has not made you 100% satisfied and a promoter. Yes if you hit the * key it will skip the persons greeting and you can simply leave your message. I hate listening to that message every time myself. Also you can program your phone to dial in your pin when you call your voice mail so that you don’t have to. Verizon is committed to listening to its customers and making the changes needed to improve our company. If you have not already done a Net Promoter Score survey please do so so we can officially get your feedback. Also, feel free to email me anytime if you have nay questions or concerns.

8. Jason