The Geek Squad Incident – Epilogue II

Geeksquadlr
A few weeks ago, I had a series of posts about my experience with The Geek Squad at Best Buy. Robert Stephens and his gaggle of Geeks turned my frustrating customer experience into a classic example of service recovery and customer redemption. I was impressed at their responsiveness, and through the experience they’ve made me a loyal customer.

A few days after my repaired laptop had been promptly returned from Geek City, I was surprised to return home to find another box from the Geek Squad on my door step. Inside I found frosting on the cake. There were a few small Geek Squad tsotchkes and my very own Geek Squad shirt.

I’m an honorary Geek!…and a raving fan. Well done!

The "Geek Squad" Posts:
Service, It’s not "Geek" to Me
Service, It’s not "Geek" to Robert Stephens Either
The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue
The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue II

10 comments for “The Geek Squad Incident – Epilogue II

1. November 29, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Made my day! We all need a Geek fix and a Geek Squad Support! I agree – thanks for sharing Tom and team! You inspire us all!

2. December 3, 2006 at 8:46 pm

And one handsome geek model you are!

3. March 30, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I’m happy that your Best Buy horror story had a happy ending. It really shows how well you blog, since your story definitely generated enough attention to be picked up by Best Buy’s customer service radar.
    Unfortunately, good customer service seems to be an exception, not a rule, with Best Buy–according to my experience and all the accounts I hear. I’m sure they gave you great service only because of your very-public posting on the topic.
    In the last four years, I’ve had extraordinary amounts of computer problems with products I’ve bought at Best Buy. I’m on the second computer from this warranty: the first was a lemon and had to go in for repairs four times the first year, the second laptop just needed major repairs for the second time this year.
    Every time I’ve gone in, I’ve had to fight tooth-and-nail for decent customer service. They’ve forgotten to repair things, they lost my computer once, they broke something else in their rush to return it to me after I called them about it, and they dragged their feet on every service opportunity they had. I hate going into Best Buy because of how horrible they treat me.
    In fact, the best experience I have EVER had with Best Buy was when I had a computer repaired overseas and just send in a receipt for compensation. And even then they “forgot” to process the paperwork for two months (without telling me) because they didn’t assign a job number to it. I spent an hour on hold on the phone, and then had to fax them a copy of the documents that I had already mailed in. It was obvious that if I hadn’t called them, Best Buy would never have fulfilled their end of my warranty agreement. And meanwhile, the $700 repair bill was gathering interest on my credit card.
    So, I am really happy for you, because it is WONDERFUL that someone in the company actually took the initiative to give you the service you deserve as a customer. I only wish that they cared enough about all their customers that situations like this didn’t happen in the first place. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.
    Also, Tom, if you would be willing to help me connect with someone higher-up in Best Buy, I’d really, really appreciate it. My computer is fast approaching “lemon” status again through no fault of my own and I am not looking forward to the upcoming battle. I’d like to document my experience and show it to someone who actually cares.

4. March 30, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Sorry to hear it, Katie. Something I’ve learned about Robert Stephens and the folks at Geek Squad is that they don’t claim to be perfect – but they are passionate about continually doing things better and doing everything possible to eliminate experiences like those you’ve had.
    In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you heard from them in response to your comment.

5. Pete Smythe
    July 27, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I’m glad to see we could help. As one of the new Covert Operators in the UK I’m glad to see that our US brethern made an impression. Did you let them know in store as we appreciate ALL feedback. Good or bad as it lets us know where we’re going wrong/right.

6. Agent Luke Quinn
    January 16, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Tom, I am glad to hear we have been able to correct the situation for you. I am an agent and always looking to go above and beyond for everyone of my customers. One of the great things about Geek Squad is that they try to spawn a customer service oriented culture. sometimes that seems like an overwhelming task. To Liz, We have an e-mail to give feedback to us on these very things and I strongly encourage using it to let us know the entire situation. If you have your PSP or service order numbers I would include those in the e-mail as well. Email info@geeksquadcentral.com with the subject line, “For Robert” and you should get a response pretty quick. Once again I am truly sorry that you did not get the customer service you deserve but please know that we are looking to be that great company and without information like this we cannot weed out our problems. ~Agent Quinn, Over and out.

7. Agent Luke Quinn
    January 16, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I’m sorry but I missed the name. the previous post was for Katie.

8. January 16, 2008 at 3:12 pm

You do the Geeks proud, Agent Quinn.
    “The Mighty Quinn”

9. February 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm

I am glad that you had a good experience with best buy and geeksquad in the end. I have found that while GS might be able to fix computer problems I am often out a computer for a while- quite the annoyance. I found another computer support company, dial a geek at http://www.dialageek.com, that is able to access your computer remotely and thus make it so you do not have to send it in- as long as the problem is not hardware. If you have problems with geeksquad try it out.

10. Rita Bowman
    July 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Bought a dishwasher in Aug.08. It started leaking water. The “geek” who came was so
    rude and told me I was loading dishes the wrong way? Why did it take 11 months of “Wrong” loading to start leaking? New geek arrived today and I’m good to go. If I ever have another problem I trust Fred is the one who returns!!