The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue

For those of you who were following my experience with The Geek Squad last week, let me share with you how the men and women with pocket-protectors followed through after my e-mail from Geek Squad founder Robert Stephens and bring a conclusion to this tale.

• Mid-day Friday I had a voice mail from Geek Squad member, Anthony, following up with me on the status of the laptop. I returned the call and left a voice-mail message, but he never got back to me.
  • When I got back to my office late Friday I had an e-mail from Geek City director, Wes Snyder, who explained all of the repairs that they had made to the laptop. They even went the extra-mile to replace the top of the case and replace the "j" key, which wasn’t working.
  • UPS delivered my lap-top on Saturday. Everything is working great.

This whole experience is a great illustration of the power of listening. The Geek Squad had their ears tuned to the blogosphere and they responded quickly to a customer’s problem. Not only have they saved me as a customer, but they’ve generated a fair amount of positive WOM.

Starbucks, are you listening?
Radio Shack, are you listening?
L.G., are you listening?
Red Robin, are you listening?

The "Geek Squad" Posts:
Service, It’s not "Geek" to Me
Service, It’s not "Geek" to Robert Stephens Either
The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue
The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue II

7 comments for “The Geek Squad Incident: Epilogue

1. November 13, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Who Listens More – Men or Women – Deborah Tannen’s Research

If you consider that mens and womens brain are very different biologically, youll likely also agree that they use their brains differently at work. fellow blogger and friend, Tom Vander Well’s been talking about Geek Squad Listenin…

2. November 13, 2006 at 7:23 pm

It’s reassuring to learn someone was listening to you.
    I’m starting to think customer service is deteriorating by the second. Very odd considering how fast news travels on the blogosphere.
    I’ve been having an awful time with my ISP and their customer service is a nightmare. I’ve spent 5 hours on the phone, installed a new modem and still having trouble. I’m dreadng my next call to them.
    Cheers,
    Eden aka Bargainista

3. November 13, 2006 at 8:35 pm

This was a great story, Tom. Fascinating installment!
    Another reason to love the Geek Squad: they practice “drive-by marketing”!
    (enjoy!)

4. November 13, 2006 at 8:36 pm

This was a great story, Tom. Fascinating installment!
    Another reason to love the Geek Squad: they practice “drive-by marketing”!
    (enjoy!)

5. November 14, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Who’s Listening More – Men or Women? Research Study

If you consider that mens and womens brains are very different biologically, youll likely also agree that they use their brains differently at work to LISTEN. Fellow blogger and friend, Tom Vander Well’s been talking about Geek Sq…

6. brent
    September 30, 2007 at 7:14 pm

He is not sending out direct emails to people apologizing anymore. Instead he is sending in his drones to take care of the issue for him not even acknowledging their mistake and making others apologize for them hiring stupid workers

7. September 30, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the comment, Brent. That’s interesting and, if true, – very sad.