Blogs and (Cob)Web Sites

Train
Forgive my departure from the usual subject…well, maybe it’s not that big of a departure.

In the past couple of weeks, I encouraged my local Rotary group to ditch the idea of the old e-mail newsletter and start a blog. Why? It’s a quick way of getting information out to the members, multiple people can post, it’s easy to post pictures or the slides of our weekly guest speaker, there is a permanent record of information that serves as an archive. It was easy to set up, it’s easy to update and it’s incredibly inexpensive (we are a Dutch community, after all).

I’ve been frustrated as a leader in my local community theater. We have some very nice people who manage our cob-web site, but it’s a hassle trying to get the site updated and changed. There is always a delay in getting things done. It’s easy to have an "oh, just forget it" mentality when it comes to ideas because it’s too big of a pain in the butt getting things changed and then you always have to deal with the matter of how much it may cost you. So, I inquired about putting up a blog and moving our domain name over to typepad.

Our web master was very nice about letting us switch the domain over to a blog, but then added in the e-mail "I don’t know anything about blogs."

Oh my.

As my friend Mike always says, "I hear the train a comin’". You better jump on board or get off the tracks. As another bard once sang "the times they are a changin’"!

Flickr photo courtesy of Coral Rose

14 comments for “Blogs and (Cob)Web Sites

1. August 2, 2006 at 10:46 am

Newsletters

It is funny that Tom posted on newsletters and cob-webs. Just yesterday at work, we talked about creating a quarterly to be circulated to clients. We had also been talking about blogs (for weeks!) and now will go Pro at

2. August 2, 2006 at 1:10 pm

Oh My, indeed. Your passion and leadership in the Pella business community certainly have the projects your involved with on the right track:-) Stay contagious.

3. August 2, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for the comment, Mike. You are a great conversation conductor!

4. August 2, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the trackback, Harsha. Let us know how the circular experiment goes!

5. August 2, 2006 at 9:22 pm

As a Rotarian, I can see the value in blogs over email newsletters and it would also add interactivity. There are lots of members who would get left behind in my group though, and I was wondering if it would be worth doing a session or two. Or what about an article to the Rotarian Magazine on this topic? Thanks for another good idea, Tom.

6. August 2, 2006 at 9:48 pm

You bring up a good point, Ellen. We’re dealing with a similar issue because about 25 percent of the members have no on-line access. I’m trying to print the previous weeks posts and making it available at meetings for these people. Currently, about 2/3 of those with on-line access have subscribed. I’m trying to figure out if the other third have opted to bookmark and check back or what the hesitation might be.
    I think your idea of a training session or two is a good one. I’ve tried to provide instruction in e-mails and at a couple of meetings, which helped greatly!

7. August 2, 2006 at 9:49 pm

By the way, Ellen. Why am I NOT surprised you’re a Rotarian? I see the four-way test exemplified in your blog and your comments!

8. August 2, 2006 at 11:31 pm

Tom, that’s two Dylan quotes I’ve noticed lately – do I detect an affinity for the music man from Minnesota?

9. August 3, 2006 at 6:09 am

Starbucker, you caught me! I try very hard to keep my appreciation for Dylan under control, but sometimes I just get tangled up in blue and have to put on my leopard-skin pill-box hat.

10. August 3, 2006 at 6:14 pm

Gosh, I’d love to see a picture of that! 🙂

11. August 5, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Hi Tom,
    I listened to “The Times They Are A-Changin'” after reading your post. Wow — that’s an eerily good match! It almost seems that the song was written precisely for this issue today. I guess that’s what makes Dylan so timeless, eh?
    Cuileann

12. August 8, 2006 at 8:02 am

You’re absolutely right, Cuileann. Truth never wears out – it always stays relevant.

13. May 22, 2007 at 8:47 am

So, has the transition to the blog been successful? It seems many clubs in our area are moving to Club Runner for their web sites. It seems a blog would be a perfect choice for publishing a newsletter.
    I wish you luck with your club.

14. May 23, 2007 at 7:34 am

Michael, thanks for dropping by. I would have to say that it has been successful – but with one caviat. The whole club loves the blog. They love getting news/info/reminders in their in-box via RSS feed. What hasn’t been successful is getting key members of leadership to utilize their ability to post. If the posting of information is left to one person – it can get overwhelming and bog down.